[OcelotNews] Ocelotians Arrive!

KD7NDG at Winlink.org KD7NDG at Winlink.org
Sun Feb 22 01:12:00 PST 2015

Dear Friends & Family,     22 Feb 2015, North tip of Namatotte Island

Thought we'd better send this out, in the interests of completeness.  After our wet & wild sail from Banda, we spent a quiet night in the lee of Usau Point, at the mouth of Kaimana Bay.  The next day we negotiated the shallows with only 1 heart stopping moment (the shallows we thought we were skirting just north of us turned out to be south of us!) & joined our American(!) friends on the cruising boats Villa G and Brick House in beautiful Raf Bay.

Today, after putting Ocelot back together & wiping most of the salt off her, we motored 2 miles to the north tip of Namatotte Island, to 3°43'N 133°53'E (see our position at http://www2.winlink.org:8081/maps/positionReports.aspx?callsign=KD7NDG ).  There are 3 "bagans" here, big trimarans that lower nets strung between their hulls to catch bait-fish attracted to their lights.  Whale Sharks, the biggest fish in world, measuring up to 59' or 18m, often come here to catch the fish that spill out of the nets.  While they're huge, whale sharks are actually quite docile, & we're hoping to snorkel with them early tomorrow morning.  Tonight we'll go negotiate with the bagans to throw some of their catch overboard, chumming to keep the big guys around while we snorkel.  Wish us luck...

Fair Winds & Calm Seas  --  Jon & Sue    s/v Ocelot
http://HackingFamily.com    http://svOcelot.com
Skype: sv-ocelot   US Worldwide Phone: +1-206-923-9714