[OcelotNews] Ocelot Refit Progress

KD7NDG at Winlink.org KD7NDG at Winlink.org
Thu Jan 26 18:33:00 PST 2012

Dear Friends & Family,     27 January 2012, Phuket, Thailand

We last wrote in early November.  After hauling Ocelot out of the water in late October, we spent 4 weeks stripping her down to her bare bones.  Pretty much everything that could move got unbolted & came off, to get stored in our contractor (Golf's) workshop.

Then we left to spend Thanksgiving & Christmas with our family back in the States.  We flew to San Francisco to spend time with Jon's Father, then drove up to N California to have a full family get-together with Jon's sister, the first time the whole Hacking clan has gotten together in far too long.  Chris & Amanda had driven down to join the fun & we drove up to Seattle with them afterwards.

December was delightfully hectic, with Xmas shopping, hunting the wild & elusive Xmas tree, friends to visit, dogs to baby-sit, & family to reconnect with.  It was wonderful to finally have a cold (non-tropical) Xmas, with a fire in the fireplace & eggnog & family all around.  Jon even managed to get some skiing in & Sue enjoyed her birding & genealogy work.

We also ran around looking for bits for Ocelot.  The 2 big items were to replace our aging stove & oven, & to replace our radar, which got zorched by lightning in Langkawi.  Both required some research - always lots of fun learning opportunities in this lifestyle!

All too soon it was time to leave.  Packing up all our goodies such that they could fly on the plane with us was a challenge, but Asiana (the Korean airline) was very good to us & only charged us $50, despite all the rules we bent.  We had stunning views of Denali (Mt McKinley) in Alaska on the flight back.

Not much had happened on Ocelot in the 8 weeks we were gone.  Golf had promised us weekly updates & photos, but he also had 12 boats he was working on.  This was fine with us, as we want to supervise some aspects of the reconstruction.  Now all of his other boats have launched so we have his full attention & progress is ramping up.

One thing we were not expecting is that the screws holding down our teak decks went into the balsa coring of our decks (which are a sandwich of balsa & fiberglass).  Some of these screws leaked & water got into the balsa, turning it into mush.  So Golf stripped off the top fiberglass layer of our decks & we decided to chip out all the balsa as well, replacing it with high-density closed-cell (inorganic!) foam.

To make it easier for folks to follow along & comment on our progress, we are now doing daily updates on our website, AND on Facebook.  Each week we add a new page under http://hackingfamily.com/Ocelot/ThaiRefit/ThaiRefit.htm, & each day we add the days's pictures & events to that page.  Then we link that day's events to our http://www.facebook.com/svOcelot Facebook page.  Check it out!

We hope that you also had a wonderful holiday season, & we hope that 2012 brings you good Health, Happiness, Prosperity, & much Joy!

Fair Winds & Calm Seas  --  Jon & Sue    s/v Ocelot
http://HackingFamily.com    http://svOcelot.com