[OcelotNews] Ocelotians arrive in South Andaman

KD7NDG at Winlink.org KD7NDG at Winlink.org
Mon Apr 25 23:21:00 PDT 2011

Dear Friends & Family,    26 April 2011, Hut Bay, South Andaman Island

Making landfall is strange.  We've now been out sailing for over a week, with nothing to look at except water, water, & more water (OK, some clouds, stars, & the odd dolphin, but you get what I mean).  With a bit of sleep deprivation you begin to wonder if there's anything else in the world besides water, because that's all you see, day after day, night after night.  Emails & voices on the radio come from a different world...

And then, suddenly, somebody puts an island in front of you (or even a whole continent!)  It all seems so unlikely.  Why would there be an island HERE?  OK, perhaps we all need some sleep... :)

The night passed smoothly with only minor dodges around the more angry-looking clouds.  At 9:45 this morning we rounded the breakwater (which does not show on our charts) & dropped our anchor in 30' of clear water in Hut Bay, on the east side of South Andaman island, southernmost of the Andaman Islands.  The islands just south of us are also owned by India but they're called the Nicobar Islands, & foreigners aren't allowed there at all.

We're still dealing with Indian bureaucracy.  Port Control didn't even have the authority to let us anchor until we'd phoned the harbor-master.  But we can't get off Ocelot until the Navy & Coast Guard say it's OK, & that has to come from somewhere far away.  Luckily, our friends in Chennai are pulling strings to ease us through the bureaucracy.  Unfortunately, there's no Navy ship in port right now, or we're told that they'd have GIVEN us the diesel.  Oh well...

Our current anchorage is at 10°35.6'N 92°33.4'E.  Since Chennai we've traveled 920nm in 210 hours (8.75 days) for a very slow average speed of 4.4 knots.  It seems we were pure sailing for only 2 days, & motor-sailing for 6.75 days (burning 424 liters of diesel, which we're trying to replace now).  We'll probably be here for the night, but if we can get our diesel this afternoon then we'll probably push off for Thailand tomorrow.

Fair Winds & Calm Seas  --  Jon & Sue    s/v Ocelot
http://HackingFamily.com    http://svOcelot.com